Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Historical Fiction Book Recommendations

Okay, guys, let's play a game. It's called... How many books am I currently reading/ how many books are on my desk right now?

Here's the answer.



Yeah. I may have gotten myself into more than I can handle. But who doesn't love being in two worlds at the same time?

I thought I'd try something different today and give some book recommendations. These are some of my favorite historical fiction books, and they've given me lots of inspiration for my next writing project.




1. The Hiding Place, Corrie ten Boom (Autobiography). This one doesn't really count as fiction, but it's such an inspiring story that I just HAD to include it. The book has a God-centered focus, and plenty of intrigue and danger coming from Corrie's real-life experiences in World War II and German-occupied Holland.

2. Under a War-Torn Sky, L.M. Elliott (Fiction). I've read this one once before, and it was such an awesome book that I'm re-reading it now. The way the author writes is a style like no other, and the plot kept you on your toes. It's also a WWII era book, as a lot of these next ones will be. (Sorry, not sorry.)

3. Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand (Biography). I haven't technically read this one, but it's a truly amazing story about a young man in the midst of crisis. The book details the journey of Louis Zamperini as he rises to fame as an Olympic runner and then finds himself in the midst of WWII in the Pacific, stranded on a raft after his plane crashes in the ocean. I've been told that the book is best suited for 13 years old and up, due to some graphic descriptions of torture and human peril.

4. The Twilight of Courage, Bodie and Brock Thoene (Fiction). Also a WWII era book, this is hands-down one of the best books I've ever read. Complex characters, real-world struggles, and engaging plot. It is 600 pages long, so be prepared for a time commitment before reading this one. But trust me, it's worth it.

5. The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Elizabeth George Speare (Fiction). Deviating from my WWII streak, this book is set around the time the Salem Witch Trials are taking place in the colonies, and it follows a girl from the Barbados Islands who comes to live with her strict Puritan relatives. This is a book written in an artful, engaging way, and reveals a bit about life in those tumultuous times.

6. The Bronze Bow, Elizabeth George Speare (Fiction). Set in the time of Jesus' life on earth, the story follows a Jewish boy who hates the Romans for killing his father and vows to get revenge on them. I haven't read this book in a long time, but I figured I'd throw some variety in...

7. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (Fiction). If you're in need of a good romance story (preferably sarcastic and frustrating romance) then look no further! Pride and Prejudice has all of the famous British wit and drama you'll need. I first read this when I was 15, and found it boring, but that was most likely because I was more interested in adventure stories and too young to appreciate a good classic. Plus, I hadn't yet mastered the art of sarcasm.

8. The Story Girl, L.M. Montgomery (Fiction). Written by the author of the acclaimed Anne of Green Gables series, the Story Girl is a fun, lighthearted book in which some of the other folks of Avonlea get into various scrapes and incidents. Apparently, Canadians also have great skill with wittiness and words. I actually laughed at loud at this book, which doesn't happen very often.

9. Give Me Liberty, L.M. Elliott (Fiction).  And lastly, this book follows the life of a young boy named Nathaniel after he is bought from a plantation in the early stages of the Revolutionary War. It's also one of my favorite books; it's poetic and intriguing, but easy to read and offers insight into the late 1700's when the colonies were rebelling against England.

Well, there you have it! I hope these books carry you through time and leave a mark on your outlook, as they did to me. Happy Reading!

(And never apologize for being a bookworm. I get so ticked when people can be buried in their phones all day, and when I pull out a book, I'm antisocial. Get real. I'm a freaking Time-Lord.) Nerds and geeks unite!

If you like this blog, make sure to subscribe by email, check out my other posts, and share them on your favorite social media! 

No comments:

Post a Comment